23 Hockerill Anglo-European College students and staff lose their hair for charity
A group of 23 students and staff at Hockerill Anglo-European College proved they are a cut above with a hair-raising stunt for charity.
Children at the Dunmow Road secondary school and their families packed St Albans Hall to see 19 girls and one boy plus two female and one male member of staff lose their locks. They were:
- Adults Celestin Faiers, Celine Graves and Tom Coleman;
- Year 7 girls Edie Evans, Emma Hunter, Charlotte Kong, Daria Meterna, Ildara Saez-Allende, Kayla Scholtz, Francesca Weekly and Natalia Gibilaro;
- Year 8 duo Emma Barnett and India Fincher-Arnold;
- Year 11 students Olivia Boutell, Talisa Chan, Hallie Copping-Jones, Dulcie Fisher, Mei Lun Gu, Josie Hofer, Keya Morazaria-Patel and Allen Lester; and
- Year 12 girls Tracey Fu and Guilia Rizzo.
The event was arranged by a group of Year 11 students led by Keya Morzaria-Patel and Artie Littler, and overseen by Hockerill's director of innovation, Shamiela Davids, who said: "The turnout and organisation are incredible! The team have worked so hard for a brilliant result. It's great that such huge numbers of supporters are here too."
The first guinea pigs – six girls – sat nervously on stage while volunteer stylists measured and banded segments of their hair.
They and the other girls sacrificed between 7 and 12 inches of their tresses to the Little Princess Trust for wigs for cancer patients.
The two male participants – Allen Lester and PE teacher and Bishop's Stortford rugby club coach Mr Coleman – had their heads shaved in a bid to raise £5,000 for the Nancy Salmon Trust.
The 16-year-old organisers said: "Most of us have loved ones who are, or have been, cancer patients and we felt it was important to raise awareness and resources.
"Hair grows back, but we cannot get the moments with the ones we have lost."
The haircuts were carried out by half-a-dozen volunteer stylists, including some from Bishop's Stortford's Zoo Hair salon. Morrisons provided refreshments for the volunteers and a bake sale.
To donate, go to https://www.gofundme.com/f/hockerillhaircut