East Herts Council grants boost Bishop's Stortford good causes
A ground-breaking music project to help Bishop's Stortford residents with dementia has been boosted by a £3,210 grant.
The Playlist for Life charity is one of a wide range of good causes and community organisations across East Herts to receive funding from the district council.
It uses people's favourite music to create their own personal playlist. Even if parts of the brain are damaged, music can still reach other parts, bringing back feelings and memories, reducing the use of heavy drugs, managing moods and strengthening relationships.
The capital grant will be used to set up a Playlist for Life help point – one of just six in England – at the Herts and Essex Hospital in Haymeads Lane. The scheme also received a £1,000 revenue grant towards administration and publicity costs.
Cllr Eric Buckmaster, East Herts Council's executive member for health and wellbeing, said: "Across East Herts the range of organisations running fantastic schemes to benefit the more vulnerable members of our community is heart-warming and I'm delighted that the council's health and wellbeing grant pot has been able to offer so much support.
"All the projects we've selected will help to strengthen communities and encourage people of all ages to get involved in activities that will help their physical and mental health."
Other beneficiaries include:
- Herts Musical Memories – £2,950 towards singing groups for people with dementia and their carers at Sele Farm Community Centre and Bishop's Stortford Baptist Church;
- Para Dance UK – £3,000 to train dance instructors who will set up dance groups for children with special educational needs;
- Aspects School Partnership – £1,000 towards an early intervention counselling service for pupils and parents in the town with poor mental health;
- Ace Hounds recovery dogs for mental health – £3,000 to expand a visiting dogs programme for isolated older people;
- Bishop's Stortford Parkinson's Support Group – £1,000 for a six-month Boxing for Fitness, signing and nutrition programme;
- TUBS (Tidy Up Bishop's Stortford) – £490 towards litter pickers, shovels, brooms and gloves for six litter-pick events.