M11 at Bishop's Stortford and Stansted Airport: New lighting for junction 8 set to cause disruption for 15 weeks
Work to renew lighting on the M11 junction 8 roundabout at Birchanger Green is set to begin next Monday (December 14).
The replacement of electrical cables and columns is set to take 15 weeks, with a break over the Christmas and New Year period.
Contractors will be working from 8pm to 6am on week nights, subject to weather conditions, with a two-and-a-half-week pause from Friday December 18 to Monday January 4.
Most of the project will require only lane closures, however full carriageway shutdowns will be required for a few shifts.
Highways England has split the carriageway closures into five phases.
* Phase 1: Southbound exit slip closure on Friday, February 5 – southbound drivers will continue on the M11 to junction 7 at Harlow to turn around and leave the M11 using the J8 northbound exit slip road.
* Phase 2: Southbound entry slip closure on Friday, February 19 – drivers will be diverted onto the A120 to join the M11 southbound from Priory Wood Roundabout.
* Phase 3: Northbound exit slip closure on Monday, February 22 – drivers will be diverted off the M11 onto the A120 at Priory Wood Roundabout to join Birchanger Roundabout to continue their journey.
* Phase 4: Northbound entry slip closure on Friday, March 5 – drivers will be diverted onto the M11 southbound to J7 to turn around and join the M11 northbound.
* Phase 5: M11 J8 in both directions on Monday, March 15 and Thursday, March 18 (two nights) – traffic will be diverted off the M11 via the J8 exit slip roads to travel over Birchanger Roundabout and rejoin the M11 from the entry slip roads, in both directions.
The project is set to finish by April 15. The agency is also planning further resurfacing in the area in the new year.