Waitrose shopper has purse stolen in Bishop's Stortford
A 74-year-old woman fell victim to a purse dipper in Waitrose in Bishop's Stortford on Monday afternoon (July 8).
She paid for her shopping at the Northgate End store at around 12.10pm, put her purse in her bag, walked to her car and drove home.
At 1.15pm her bank called her to make her aware of fraudulent activity and she realised her purse had gone.
As well as her bank cards, her purse contained £50 cash.
This incident has been reported to Stortford police. Officers have issued the following advice for shoppers to safeguard themselves against crimes of this nature:
- Use a handbag that can be closed properly, preferably zipped, so it is more difficult for someone to open it and reach in.
- Never leave your bag unattended or in a shopping trolley.
- Be aware of people around you – be especially cautious if you see someone watching you.
- Always shield your PIN when using your card in shops or at cash machines.
- Never tell anyone your PIN. Never write it down and store it near your card.