Home   News   Article

Fire at Bishop's Stortford town centre café and deli Nostimo




Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled a blaze that broke out at Nostimo, the popular, award-winning café and delicatessen in Bishop's Stortford town centre, on Thursday morning (June 17).

The popular Greek eatery on the corner of Market Square and Bridge Street was evacuated by owners Dimitrios Tsioupas and his wife Vaida. Bridge Street was immediately closed to traffic.

Herts Fire and Rescue Service received a call at 10.01am to a "small fire in the kitchen of a commercial premises".

Fire control sent both fire engines from Bishop’s Stortford and one from Much Hadham. Two sets of breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet were used in the incident, which ended at 11.02am.

The blaze was at the back of the property backing onto Palmers Lane. The fire was reportedly quickly extinguished, but a strong smell of smoke filled the area.

A visibly shocked Dimitrios and Vaida were comforted by firefighters and at least one passer-by as they sat outside the front of their business. Dimitrios said: "We are OK, it is all done now."

The couple won the award for customer service, sponsored by Bishop's Stortford BID, at the 2019 Indies community awards.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More