Northgate End car park: Limekiln legacy for new flats at site of Bishop's Stortford multi-storey
The road leading to new flats being built at Northgate End is to be named Limekiln Lane.
East Herts Council is constructing a six-level multi-storey car park providing 546 spaces and surface-level parking for 27 vehicles on the former cattle market site, as well as a four-storey mixed-use building with commercial space at ground level and 15 flats above.
The name was inspired by the agricultural pedigree and industrial past of the site, which was last used as a surface car park.
Bishop's Stortford Town Council's planning and development committee was told that once the construction is complete, the old car park exit lane will form the only access to the new flats.
"The developer would like to suggest Limekiln Lane for the name of the new road. The reason for this suggestion is in 1858 local auctioneer George E Sworder rented this land from Hawkes brewery and established a permanent cattle auction market at Limekiln Field; the site was formerly a brickworks with limekiln."