Bishop's Stortford branch of Royal British Legion marks 100 years
Bishop's Stortford's branch of the Royal British Legion has celebrated its centenary with a church service and a fundraising event.
Members boosted this year's Poppy Appeal with a stall in Jackson Square on Saturday (April 9) and generated a further £277.80 to bring the annual total to £50,517.05.
The previous Sunday (April 3) dignitaries including Deputy Lieutenant of Hertfordshire Emma Robarts, Hertfordshire County Council vice chairman Cllr Annie Brewster, East Herts Council chairman Cllr Ken Crofton, Bishop's Stortford mayor Cllr Keith Warnell, his deputy Cllr Dave Anderson and Royal British Legion Hertfordshire's vice chairman Sue Rose attended a service at St Michael's Church in Windhill.
Conducted by the Rev Tim Weeks, the Anglican interim area dean of Bishop's Stortford, it included poetry read by pupils at Thorn Grove Primary School and music from the Amici Cantate choir.
The town council and Dotmatics allowed attendees to use their car parks at the Old Monastery, and Best Foods Logistics donated light refreshments served in the Windhill Churches Centre. Associated Taxis provided transport to the service for veterans and widows.
The town's Legion branch was formed in 1921. Its first home was a small air raid precaution hut behind Bishop's Stortford FC's original ground at Rhodes Avenue. It was officially recognised on April 6, 1922, when it received its certificate of branch registration from central office. After the Second World War, members bought 28 Windhill as a social club for returning servicemen. The branch is currently based at the New Apton Centre.