Home   News   Article

Elms Farm Allotments Association carrying out safety review following shed fire





A full review of safety is under way at Elms Farm Allotments in Stansted after a shed on one of the plots was destroyed in a fire.

A clean-up operation is under way at the site off Church Road, which was turned into village allotments five years ago as part of the development of that area.

A spokesperson for Elms Farm Allotment Association said: “The fire appears to be an isolated incident and there's no evidence of malicious intent or arson. It's the first fire we've had in the five years the allotment site has been active. Thankfully no one was hurt.

The remains of a burnt-out shed on the Elms Farm Allotment site in Stansted
The remains of a burnt-out shed on the Elms Farm Allotment site in Stansted

“The site has been inspected and deemed safe by the fire service and clean-up has begun.

“It reminds us all that there are hazards on allotment plots as well as garden sheds and people should be vigilant about safety issues such as storage of fuel, gas canisters, batteries and flammable materials. A full review of site safety is under way by the allotment association.”

The burnt-out shed, with the remains of a gas canister and picnic table among the ashes, was reported on Monday to Essex County Fire and Rescue Service and the site was checked over by crews from Stansted.

The fire is believed to have happened over the weekend of February 3-4.



This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More