Stansted's Magna Carta Primary Academy changes its Covid-19 policy following concerns from parents
A school in Stansted has changed its Covid-19 policy following pressure from parents.
Just two days into the new term, Magna Carta Primary Academy closed its doors as a precautionary measure after several pupils displayed suspected coronavirus symptoms. This was contrary to guidelines, which are to close class groups, or 'bubbles', when there is a confirmed case.
Parents claimed it was a "frustrating situation” that would prove disruptive if it continued closing at the first sign of symptoms, and called for the St John's Road school to review its policy.
The school, which is part of Harlow-based BMAT Education (formerly Burnt Mill Academy Trust), informed parents last week that it had revised its stance, but despite being asked by the Indie at the time to comment, confirmed the decision only today (Mon Sept 21).
Said a spokesman: "As of Monday 14th September, we will only close a bubble if there is a positive case in that bubble. Prior to that we were closing the bubble if someone had symptoms. All BMAT schools have made the same change."
The primary welcomed back its 150 pupils in Years 1 to 4 after the summer holiday on Wednesday September 3 – by the following Monday (Sept 7) it had closed. As a relatively new school, it does not yet have pupils in Years 5 or 6.
With the four year groups separated into two bubbles, negative test results came back for the younger group, meaning that their bubble could return, but pupils in Years 3 and 4 remained at home until they finally got the all-clear to return.
At the time, a spokesperson for the school, said: “We felt it prudent to take a cautious approach and ask pupils and staff to remain at home, pending the results of testing. As a trust, we are doing everything in our power to protect the health of our children, staff and parents. The trust and school's review of policies and risk assessments are ongoing."