Home   News   Article

Stansted Airport police go to aid of 'confused' elderly passenger who missed flight home to Sweden from holiday in Tenerife

More news, no ads


An elderly air passenger has thanked the Essex Police officers who helped him after he was found in a confused state at Stansted Airport.

Michael Furniss, 85, arrived at the airport from Tenerife late on Thursday (July 2). Officers who had concerns for his welfare established that he had missed a connecting flight home to Stockholm in Sweden.

Michael Furniss has thanked Essex police officers who looked after him (38009736)
Michael Furniss has thanked Essex police officers who looked after him (38009736)

He was checked over by paramedics before contact was made with his daughter, Rose.

A police officer not only stayed with Mr Furniss during the night – but when it was learned that the next plane to Sweden from Stansted was not until Saturday (July 4), the officer drove him to Heathrow to catch a flight home on Friday.

An Essex Police spokesman said: "One of our officers remained with him throughout the night and the following morning until a plan was put into place to get him home.

"We discovered that the next flight back to Sweden at Stansted Airport was not until Saturday 4 July, so our officers drove Michael to Heathrow Airport. He was cared for right until he boarded a plane that day."

Michael said: “They really looked after me and they were very charming. It was my first ever dealings with the police.

"I was confused after arriving back from holiday, but the officers were first class and were ever so friendly.

“I used to live in Colchester for a short period and I didn’t know Essex Police managed the airport, so it was nice. They really went out of their way, even taking me to another airport. Thank you.”

Michael’s daughter, Rose, said: “I knew my father was being cared for and that he was in safe hands. We tried to make contact with relatives in the UK, but it was late and I knew everything was going to be fine. I never had to worry thanks to Essex Police."

Supt Steve Ditchburn, Essex Police's airport commander, said: “My officers acted quickly to help Michael, who was confused and had missed an important flight back home to his family. They cared for him, contacted his daughter and made arrangements to reunite them. They then drove Michael to another airport before making sure he boarded his flight safely.

“I want to thank my officers for their humanity. Not only do they provide security and support at a busy airport, they are also trained to help people in need and I believe they went above and beyond to help this man.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More