Deliveroo launches in Bishop's Stortford with free doughnuts and 25% off orders
Deliveroo is officially launching its food delivery service in Bishop's Stortford today (Thursday, August 29).
The company has partnered with 24 restaurants, cafes, takeaways and food shops in the town, including high street chains such as Bill's, Giggling Squid and Subway as well as independents including Gourmeturk, The Pizza Guys and Huckleberry Chicken. The number is expected to reach 30 by the end of the year.
To celebrate the launch, Deliveroo is giving away hundreds of free doughnuts in the town centre on Saturday (August 30) and giving customers 25% off orders for the next four weeks from participating restaurants with a £20 minimum spend.
The company's arrival is creating more than 50 jobs in Bishop's Stortford over the next year. The majority will be riders and drivers, who aim to deliver food orders in under 30 minutes.
Deliveroo, founded in 2013 by William Shu and Greg Orlowski, works worldwide with more than 80,000 restaurants and takeaways, as well as 60,000 riders, in over 500 cities and towns in13 countries and regions: Australia, Belgium, France, Hong Kong, Italy, Ireland, Netherlands, Singapore, Spain, Taiwan, United Arab Emirates and Kuwait as well as the UK.
The Stortford launch is part of a UK expansion into a further 50 towns and cities this summer and autumn, aimed at reaching an additional 6.5 million homes. Deliveroo wants to be available to over half the population in the UK by the end of the year.
Harrison Foster, regional director in the UK, said: "Launching in Bishop's Stortford is a key milestone for Deliveroo. Bishop's Stortford has a thriving foodie community and a wide range of restaurants, so we're excited to connect them.
"We look forward to working with our new restaurant partners to reach a new customer base and expand their businesses. Deliveroo will also create work for 50 local riders and are thrilled to offer a flexible role to the community."
Deliveroo works via an app and website. Customers have the option to schedule orders up to a day in advance or receive food as soon as possible between 5pm and 11pm on weekdays and 11.30am and 11pm at weekends.
The full list of Bishop's Stortford food businesses joining the platform are:
* Bill's, Giggling Squid, Prezzo, The Bishop's Cave and News & Booze in North Street
* Huckleberry Chicken and Tandoori Cottage in Northgate End
* Gourmeturk in High Street
* Rosey Lea in Market Square and Wickham Hall
* Road Dogs, Sukira (Cantonese restaurant) and Lekker Poffertjes in Eat 17 in Potter Street
* Subway and Heroes Diner in Apton Road
* Chicken Corner in Station Road
* DOUGH&co Woodfired Pizza and DOUGH&Co Artisan Pasta in Anchor Street (opens mid-September)
* Luso Flavours Portuguese restaurant and Pizza La Poire in Hockerill Street
* The Pizza Guys and Le Raj Tandoori takeaway in Millars, Southmill Road
* Fish'n'Chick'n and The Marne Inn in Thorley Park
* The Mountbatten Indian restaurant in Hazelend Road
More by this authorSinead Corr