Home   Sport   Article

Injury-time winner condemns Bishop's Stortford to defeat at Haringey Borough in first round of Buildbase FA Trophy

Bishop's Stortford's return to competitive action after the second coronavirus lockdown was short lived as an injury-time goal condemned them to a 2-1 defeat at Haringey Borough in the first round of the Buildbase FA Trophy on Tuesday night (December 8).

There has become something of a recurring theme in the fixture as Haringey also got last-gasp goals to win both of the Isthmian League, Premier Division meetings between the sides last season by the same scoreline.

Archie Jones gave the Blues the lead in the cup contest before Jamie O'Donoghue equalised and substitute Anthony McDonald, who came on with 10 minutes remaining, struck the winner.

The defeat means Steve Smith's men are now waiting to see when their next competitive fixture will be following the delayed restart to their league campaign.

As you might expect with it being the first competitive match for both sides in over a month, the start was cagey with both teams happy to pass the ball around and not driving forward with much intent in the early stages.

Haringey's Roman Michael-Percil had the first real chance when he intercepted Sam Mvemba's backpass and rounded goalkeeper Jack Giddens before seeing his shot go wide from a tight angle.

Ben Marlow was denied by the post for the Blues when he chipped shot-stopper Jonathan Miles and they had a penalty appeal for handball waved away by the referee.

The visitors did go in front before half time, however, as Marlow's powerful long-range effort was only parried by Miles and Jones tapped the ball in.

Haringey drew level on the hour mark when Stortford defender Mark Haines failed to clear a dangerous cross from the right and O'Donoghue nodded home.

Having equalised, the hosts took the initiative and dominated the closing stages of the match, with George Aresti forcing Giddens into a save and Michael-Percil firing wide from a tight angle.

In an attempt to swing the momentum back in the Blues' favour, manager Smith went with two up front, bringing on Tom Richardson to partner Frankie Merrifield. And they linked up when Richardson crossed from the right, but Merrifield's header was straight at Miles. Substitute Louie Johnson had Stortford's last chance when his curled effort never troubled Miles.

And in the third minute of added time, McDonald plucked the ball out of the air with a brilliant first touch and, with the defence thinking he was offside, he had all the time in the world to set himself and find the bottom corner to score Haringey's winner.

Haringey: Miles, Olufemi, M O'Donoghue, Richards, Vilcu, Michael-Percil (Mitchell 90+4), Aresti, J O'Donoghue (McLeod 63), Djamas, Bawling, Bessadi (McDonald 80). Not used: Dombaxe, Leblond, Akindayini.

Blues: Giddens, Mvemba, Thomas, Robbins, Henshaw, Jones (Richardson 69), Marlow, Merrifield, Greene (Johnson 80), Foxley, Haines. Not used: Mullings, Gardner, Smith.

Attendance: 192.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More