Home   Sport   Article

Steve Smith felt Bishop's Stortford did not get going in defeat to Folkestone Invicta

By Michael Vaughton


Bishop’s Stortford joint-manager Steve Smith could not hide his disappointment as his side lost 2-0 at Folkestone Invicta on Saturday and suffered a third straight Bostik League, Premier Division defeat.

The Blues, who had previously been on a fine run which saw them lose just once in 11 league outings, were undone by two first-half goals.

“It wasn’t the best result on Saturday,” said Smith, whose side followed it up with a 5-1 win over Wingate & Finchley in the third round of the Velocity Trophy on Tuesday night before they host derby rivals Harlow Town at the ProKit UK Stadium on Boxing Day (1pm).

“It was played in horrendous conditions and after Folkestone scored after only five minutes we didn’t really get going.

“I’m not making excuses, but we’ve got a couple of injuries at the moment and we haven’t got any depth on the bench.

“Hopefully everyone will be fit for the Harlow game on Boxing Day, where we will dust ourselves down and go again.”

It took only five minutes for the home side to open the scoring as Ade Yusuff calmly slotted past Calum Kitscha in the Blues’ goal after a good through ball.

Kitscha was the busiest man on the pitch as he denied Michael Everitt and Ian Draycott, while at the other end Jamie Cureton saw a long-range effort go wide.

Luke Callander also went close for the Blues, but the home side doubled their lead in the 33rd minute when Alfie Paxman, who was celebrating his 21st birthday, split the defence with a driving run and coolly slotted home.

The Blues did finish the first half strongly with Callander being denied by the linesman’s flag after putting the ball in the net, while Nick Brown saw a shot hit the base of a post.

Nick Brown
Nick Brown

Cureton mishit an effort soon after the restart and Ryan Henshaw also went close as the Blues started the second half strongly.

Johnville Renee saw his shot flash just wide, but even a rash of substitutes for the visitors could not turn things around. Brown saw an effort disallowed for offside as Folkestone closed out the game to complete a double over Stortford.

Folkestone: Roberts, Starkey, Davies, Newman, Blanks, Paxman, O’Mara, Everitt, McCann, Draycott, Yusuff. Substitutes: Rowland, Vincent, Heard, Madden, Shaw.

Stortford: Kitscha, Nkosi (Mason), Gregan, Kyprianou, Robbins, Henshaw, Brown (Belaid), Renee, Cureton (Miles), Callander, Charles.

Referee: Ricky Adams.

Attendance: 333.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More