Home   Sport   Article

Bishop's Stortford up to fifth in Isthmian Premier as Johnville Renee scores injury-time winner in 2-1 win over Enfield Town

More news, no ads


Johnville Renee came off the bench to score an injury-time winner as Bishop's Stortford beat second-placed Enfield Town 2-1 on Tuesday night (November 16).

The substitute's first goal of the season sparked wild celebrations at the R&D Advisors UK Stadium as the Blues moved up to fifth place in the Pitching In Isthmian League, Premier League, with all the goals coming after the 80-minute mark.

The Blues, who host Wingate & Finchley on Saturday (Nov 20), are now on a nine-game unbeaten run in all competitions and are only three points behind Enfield and third-placed Folkestone Invicta.

Bishop's Stortford celebrate Johnville Renee's injury-time winner against Enfield Town. Picture: Nathan Cracknell (53167643)
Bishop's Stortford celebrate Johnville Renee's injury-time winner against Enfield Town. Picture: Nathan Cracknell (53167643)

Ben Marlow headed wide from Jonny Giles' cross and Jack Thomas was denied by goalkeeper Nathan McDonald as the hosts made a good start.

At the other end, Lyle Della-Verde saw his free kick parried by Jack Giddens and Muhammadu Faal fired the rebound wide.

The away side began to impose themselves on the game and Faal shot wide from a tight angle, but the Blues held firm as they defended valiantly.

Stortford also created chances as Ryan Henshaw headed just wide from Giles' corner and Marlow went close with a long-range effort.

Ryan Charles then saw a header rattle the woodwork and, before the break, Enfield's Faal dribbled from his own half into the Blues' box before being pushed wide by Mark Haines and shooting off target.

The hosts were on the front foot for most of the second period and created numerous chances to break the deadlock.

The likes of Anthony Church, Sam Robbins and Giles all went close, with the latter unlucky to see an effort blocked after some outrageous close control and skill.

It was the introduction of Darren Foxley and Renee from the Stortford bench that changed the game, the pair combining in the 83rd minute when Renee's brilliant back-heel flick resulted in Foxley's cross being blocked by a defender's arm in the box.

Cass stepped up to successfully convert the penalty, with beaten shot-stopper McDonald receiving a yellow card for kicking the ball into the striker's chin as he tried to clear it towards the centre spot.

After a triple substitution, Enfield equalised almost immediately. Nathan Smith, who had only been on the pitch three minutes, bundled the ball in from close range from Della-Verde's corner, with Stortford claims for a foul on Giddens falling on deaf ears.

Then, in a final dramatic twist, Giddens cleared the ball upfield after saving an effort from Faal and Charles' low cross was stabbed in by Renee as the Blues clinched a huge three points.

Blues: Giddens, Edwards, Church (booked, 23min), Robbins, Henshaw (booked, 59), Giles (Renee, 79), Marlow (booked, 49; Foxley, 69), Cass, Thomas, Charles, Haines. Not used: Chandler, Merrifield, Wallace.

Enfield Town: McDonald (booked, 84min), Muleba, Kirwan (Smith, 85), Gyebi, Joseph, Kiangebeni, Taaffe (Chappell, 85), Coker (Cook, 85), Faal, Della-Verde, Maja (booked, 52). Not used: Bray, Walsh.

Attendance: 453.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More