Home   Sport   Article

Sid Clark notched a late winner as Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-16 Saints claimed a memorable 2-1 win at Waltham Cross in the Mid-Herts Rural Minors League Cup

More news, no ads


Sid Clark notched a late winner as Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-16 Saints claimed a memorable 2-1 win at Waltham Cross in the Mid-Herts Rural Minors League Cup.

The first-round tie Division Two leaders Saints travel to the Division One table-toppers.

It was the former who settled quickest and they took the lead when nice play between Zen Rapley and Ollie Green led to Harrison Walker finishing well from a narrow angle.

Waltham Cross were level by half time, however, as a foul in the box resulted in them scoring from the penalty spot.

After the break, Benjamin Stevens was a tenacious presence in the Saints' back line while the home goalkeeper produced a string of fine saves as both defences held firm.

It looked as though extra time would be needed when, with the shot-stopper finally beaten from a free kick, man-of-the-match Green saw the ball crash against the post.

But, with time running out, Clark made no mistake from six yards out when Rapley's corner somehow found its way to him as Saints knocked out their higher-level opponents.

Kade Smith grabbed the winner as under-15 Rangers saw off St Ives Rangers Red Sox 4-3.

Rangers were 3-1 up at half time in the Royston Crow League, Division Two encounter, but the visitors fought back to make it all square.

It was the hosts who took maximum points, however, as Smith's second goal of the game secured the victory. Omar Sain got their other two goals.

Under-15 Wanderers overcame Broadhall Youth Rangers 2-1 when they met in RCL Division Three.

Toby Barnes was on target alongside man-of-the-match Ross Shinnock.

Real Stortford under-17 Falcons suffered their first defeat of the season when they went down 4-2 at home to Hitchin Town Cougars.

The damage was done in the first half of the Mid-Herts Rural Minors League, Division Four contest. After conceding twice, Seb Smith pulled a goal back for Falcons before they let in another couple before the break.

The hosts improved after the interval and, with far better energy and organisation, reduced the arrears with a trademark Louis Day header.

Cougars were pinned back in the closing stages, but their goalkeeper produced excellent saves to deny Daniel Alaezi in a one-on-one situation and keep out Smith's powerful strike.

There was disappointment for under-18 Saracens in Division Five as they also saw their unbeaten start to the campaign end with a 1-0 home defeat to Enfield.

Under-16 Bulls were left rueing some bizarre decisions as they lost 2-1 at Letchworth Garden City Eagles Aquas in the first round of the League Shield.

Skipper Darragh Flood equalised for Bulls before the break and it seemed they had levelled for a second time late on to take the tie to a penalty shootout, but the goal was chalked off for no apparent reason.

Meanwhile, Real Stortford Men registered a 6-2 victory at Hoddesdon in East Herts Corinthian Sunday League, Division Four.

Tom Howe made a superb save on his debut before Henry Becerra's brace, which included a stunning free kick, was added to by Jack Stewart and Kai Campbell to put them 4-1 up.

Aaron Cameron-Prior slotted home from Charlie Kettle's quick throw and, after Hoddesdon netted a second, Harry Spall completed the scoring with his first goal of the season.

Becerra and Kettle were Real's men of the match.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More