Home   Sport   Article

Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-15 Wanderers win Mid-Herts Supplementary Cup final

By Michael Vaughton

Matt Askey scored four goals as Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-15 Wanderers blew Hertford Town Stags away in extra time to triumph 9-3 and lift the Mid-Herts Supplementary Cup.

Wanderers had lost on both occasions when the teams met in the league, but they began the final at Buntingford Town brightly and took a two-goal lead through Askey and Jonny Billington.

Hertford raised their game after the break and levelled matters. Askey restored Wanderers' lead but the Stags again made it all square from the penalty spot with moments to go.

But it was to be Wanderers' day as they scored four times in the first period of extra time, with another couple from Askey being added to by O'Keefe and Day.

BSCFC under-15 Wanderers (9780921)
BSCFC under-15 Wanderers (9780921)

And they put the icing on the cake in the second half of extra time as Rousseant and Marques struck.

There was also an outstanding performance at Buntingford from under-13 Athletic as they beat St Neots 4-0 to win the Royston Crow Meads Cup final.

They proved too hot to handle for their opponents as AJ Chapman and Finn Slater both bagged first-half braces.

Goalkeeper Oliver Bissell preserved their clean sheet after the break with a brilliant penalty save, and the team defended strongly.

Athletic can now turn their attention to an upcoming league play-off final.

BSCFC under-13 Athletic (9780923)
BSCFC under-13 Athletic (9780923)

Also celebrating were under-15 Rovers as a 5-0 victory over Wormley Rovers Reds earned them promotion to Mid-Herts Division One.

Playing at the unfamiliar Friedberg Avenue, they soon found their rhythm and it took some outstanding saves from the visiting goalkeeper to thwart them.

However, they were not denied for long and after Charlie Fisher's thunderous free kick was parried, Ethan Wildman was on hand to break the deadlock.

Jack Baros went close from Billy Martin's fine pass before he did double the lead. Baros was on hand to finish after Cameron Street and James Caldwell had combined.

Fisher got the third early in the second period and there was never likely to be a way back for Wormley as the Rovers defence, marshalled by captain Fergus Shinnick and also including goalkeeper Monty Lawrence, Wildman, Caldwell and man of the match Luke Hale, was very solid.

With Ben Jones putting in some great crosses from the left, Rovers always looked like adding to their tally.

And they did just that as Baros netted again with a fierce strike and Bryn Henriques teed up Spencer Earthy to fire home.

Under-13 Wanderers got revenge for a cup semi-final defeat as they came from behind to thump Risden Wood 8-2 in their final Division Two game of the season.

Charlie Sloan capped a virtuoso display with a hat-trick and was joined on the score sheet by Robbie Hamilton, Jake Painter, Vinnie Graffato, Harrison Walker and Fenton Connolly.

Jake Travis was man of the match for providing much-needed width in the first half and performing well in defence in the second.

There was also a 4-2 success for the under-14 girls over St Albans Rangers in their last Herts Girls Football Partnership League match of the campaign.

They trailed at the break, but Iz Tingley's brace was added to by Eliza Norman and Carys Rees, who fired in a fine left-foot volley, as they saw off a side who had previously beaten them 8-1.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More