Home   Sport   Article

Bishop's Stortford's 14-game unbeaten run in Isthmian Premier ended with 2-0 defeat at Hornchurch

More news, no ads


Bishop's Stortford suffered their first defeat in 90 minutes for 19 games as they went down 2-0 at Hornchurch on Saturday.

The Blues, whose only defeat in that time was against Cheshunt on penalties in the FA Trophy, saw their 14-game unbeaten run in the Pitching In Isthmian League, Premier Division ended as Ola Ogunwamide and former Stortford player Lewwis Spence netted for the Urchins.

Darren Foxley had the first shot of the match, bringing down Jack Giddens' free kick and firing low with his weaker foot on the half-volley as ex-Blue Joe Wright got down well to save. Charlie Ruff could only toe-poke wide for the hosts from Tobi Joseph's low cross when the Blues, who parted company with top scorer Jake Cass before the game, failed to clear a free kick from the right.

Jonny Giles' left-wing free kick was headed wide by Ryan Charles before, at the other end, Mark Haines brilliantly blocked a low cross from Ogunwamide.

But the Hornchurch midfielder made no mistake from the next attack, curling the ball into the bottom corner after the referee had played an advantage following a foul near the halfway line.

The Blues responded well to going behind with Foxley having a low shot parried by Wright and Frankie Merrifield missing the target after being teed up by Sam Robbins.

Hornchurch 2 Bishop's Stortford 0. Picture: Nathan Cracknell (54162142)
Hornchurch 2 Bishop's Stortford 0. Picture: Nathan Cracknell (54162142)

Stortford began the second half as they did the first and created the first chance when Ryan Henshaw headed straight at Wright from Giles' free kick before Chris Harris dragged a half-volley wide after Charles had nodded the ball down.

Shot-stopper Giddens was also in action, punching away a powerful free kick from Tom Wraight before tipping a low shot from long range around the post.

Wraight's set pieces continued to test the Blues' defence, with Jordan Clark heading onto the crossbar from a corner.

The best chance for a Blues equaliser fell to Harris from close range, but Wright was able to nick the ball off his toe and the defenders managed to scramble clear.

Hornchurch then doubled their lead from the next attack, with Spence on hand for a tap-in after a free kick came all the way through the box to him at the back post.

The last chance of the match fell to the visitors, with Merrifield's glancing header from Giles' free kick flashing wide of the post.

The Blues have dropped one place to fourth and remain nine points behind leaders Worthing.

Hornchurch: Wright, Parcell, Sutton, Clark (booked, 39min), Hayles, Wraight, Christou (Brown, 90), Ogunwamide (Muldoon, 66), Joseph, Ruff (Nash, 66), Spence. Not used: Onokwai, Stimson.

Blues: Giddens, Robbins, Henshaw, Giles, Marlow (booked, 62min), Harris, Merrifield, Renee (Cracknell, 78), Foxley (Church, 64; booked, 67), Charles, Haines (booked, 86). Not used: Wallace, Jack Thomas, Jones.

Attendance: 432.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More