Home   Sport   Article

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club teams pushing for promotion in East League

Bishop's Stortford Hockey Club secured a hat-trick of wins at the weekend as their three-pronged promotion push looks set to continue into the new year.

The ladies' first team triumphed 5-1 at struggling Basildon to go top of East Women's League, Division 1S.

And the men's first and second teams are nicely positioned in fourth place in East Men's League, Division One and 4SW respectively after their latest successes.

Bishop's Stortford's men's firsts and seconds as well as the ladies' firsts are having good seasons
Bishop's Stortford's men's firsts and seconds as well as the ladies' firsts are having good seasons

Adam Farley completed the scoring as Stortford's firsts beat Division One basement boys Wisbech Town 3-0.

The hosts broke the deadlock when Andy Round netted via a deflection off the goalkeeper.

Stortford maintained the pressure and won a few short corners without success as they took a one-goal lead into half time.

The winless visitors attacked with purpose after the restart and Stortford goalkeeper Simon Martyn produced some great saves to preserve his clean sheet.

The home team then secured the win with set-piece finishes from Craig Smith and Farley.

The men's second team were 3-1 winners at Vauxhall in Division 4SW as they geared up for a big test at promotion rivals Letchworth II this Saturday.

Stortford quickly began to ask questions of Vauxhall's back line, which was packed with experienced defenders.

They took the lead when the returning Adam Cawthray-Stern won a short corner which Ross Butler dragged in past the big goalkeeper.

Vauxhall equalised against the run of play from a short corner of their own and the sides went in level at the break.

Stortford were looking for a fast start to the second period and they soon restored their advantage, Harry Mckerell pouncing on a loose ball that had hit a Vauxhall foot off the goalkeeper's pads to find the backboard.

Simon Moore and Tony Robarts defended well against a tricky centre forward, but it looked as though it would be all square again when the hosts were awarded a penalty flick. However, Collin Sharp did enough to put off the taker and the shot hit the post.

Stortford then scored their third goal when the industrious Rob Taylor's great strike ricocheted off the goalkeeper's pads and Phil Ramsay slammed the loose ball home.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More