Home   Sport   Article

Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-12 Town beat RapAid Reds on penalties to reach the Mid-Herts Rural Minors League Premier Division Cup final

More news, no ads


Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-12 Town beat RapAid Reds on penalties to reach the Mid-Herts Rural Minors League Premier Division Cup final.

The teams were locked together at 1-1 after normal and extra time before the Stortford side won the semi-final contest in the shootout.

It will be Town's second final in recent years and a great way to end their debut season in the top flight.

Town took a deserved lead midway through the first half when Austin Dietz's corner was headed into his own net by a RapAid defender.

But they were unable to increase their advantage and conceded an equaliser five minutes from the end.

Extra time proved to be a real end-to-end affair, with RapAid somehow failing to score their second goal when they were twice denied by the crossbar and some fantastic work from goalkeeper Riley Rooke.

BSCFC under-12 Town (55302541)
BSCFC under-12 Town (55302541)

With still nothing to separate the sides after extra time, Town successfully converted their first three penalties as Torin Fraser, Charlie Regoli and George Tyler all slotted in confidently.

RapAid were off target with their first attempt and man-of-the-match Rooke twice saved their fourth attempt after the referee ordered a retake.

It meant Evan Castle had the chance to send Town into the final, which he duly did by sticking away his spot kick.

Under-18 Rovers dropped their first points in the Division Two title race since October when they were held 2-2 at home by Hitchin Town Yellow.

The hosts reacted well to falling behind and equalised before half time when Jack Frings' low and hard cross was converted by Jack Baros.

Adam Blair-Park raced clear to put Rovers in front early in the second period. His accomplished finish came after Will Hall and Will Thacker had combined to release him.

Rovers were then left incensed when the visitors' equaliser was allowed to stand, despite left-back Luke Hale lying incapacitated in the goalmouth having suffered a blow to the face earlier in the move.

With Hale having to go off, Rovers lay siege to their opponent's goal and were twice denied by the woodwork as they had to settle for a point.

Real Stortford under-18 Saracens returned to winning ways with a 4-1 success at Letchworth Garden City Eagles Whites in Mid-Herts Rural Minors League, Division Five.

Finn Aylott, Ted Russell, Ewan Winship and Connor Woods got the goals and Ciaran Bridle was man of the match.

A lacklustre under-17 Falcons had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Harlow Town Kestrels under-17s in Under-18 Division Four.

Falcons fell behind in the game, which was hastily rearranged as hosts Harlow's pitch was waterlogged, after failing to deal with a tame corner.

Had Stortford taken the numerous chances they created in the first half they would have been well clear, but it took a superb free kick from Isaac Pasetto to get them level.

Falcons looked the most likely to get the game's decisive third goal, but it failed to materialise.

Graham Humphries, who deputised between the sticks, was man of the match for instigating the start of some good build-up play from the back.

Meanwhile, Real Stortford Men acquitted themselves well in a 3-0 home defeat to East Herts Corinthian Sunday League high fliers Wormley United.

They produced a good second-half display, but were unable to take a number of chances that would have put the second-placed visitors under pressure.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More