Home   Sport   Article

Captain Sam Winter back for Bishop's Stortford when they host Sale FC in National League 1

Bishop's Stortford will welcome back a host of players as they aim to beat Sale FC in their final home game of 2019 this Saturday (December 14, 3pm).

A combination of injuries and resting players meant Stortford had a much-changed side for the weekend's 38-16 defeat at new National League 1 leaders Rosslyn Park.

They will be without Harrison King and Will Roberts in the front row after both went off early on against Rosslyn Park, while Sam Cappaert also picked up an injury.

Action from Bishop's Stortford Blues' trip to Rosslyn Park Rangers (23910610)
Action from Bishop's Stortford Blues' trip to Rosslyn Park Rangers (23910610)

But the likes of Dec Caulfield, Ben Harrison-Price, Baxter Wilson, Josh Stannard, Tom Banks and captain Sam Winter are set to return for the fixture at Silver Leys.

Stortford are 11th in the table and it will be four home wins in a row if they can overcome Sale, who are one place above them and one point better off.

"Sale have had the same sort of season as us and it should be a decent contest," said Stortford director of rugby Andy Long.

"We beat them at home last season and lost away, so it should be another great game and it's a good opportunity for us to finish strongly in our last home game of 2019.

"The goal is to learn from the loss at Rosslyn Park, both individually and collectively, and come back firing."

Stortford were captained by George Keen for the first time at Rosslyn Park in Winter's absence. It is only the young centre's second full season involved with the first team having been at the club since the age of six.

"George has been captaining our Blues and he deserved his chance to captain the first team," said Long.

"It was a good experience for him and he'll learn from it. He'll be a better player and captain for it."

Meanwhile, Bishop's Stortford Blues produced a valiant effort as they went down 32-12 away to a very dangerous Rosslyn Park Rangers.

After making a great start, the visitors conceded territory through some harsh penalties and ultimately shipped a couple of tries.

Stortford rallied and got back into things when Jimmy Rea finished off a fantastic move with a try which was converted by Tom Walker.

Rangers scored again but the Blues claimed another exceptional try, finished by Ollie Jones, and they trailed 19-12 at the break.

Injuries and a couple of yellow cards took their toll on Stortford after the restart and Rangers piled on the pressure to extend their lead to 32-12 by the final whistle.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More