Home   Sport   Article

Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-14 Wanderers beat Manuden on penalties in Bill Doyle Memorial Trophy

Tom Wagstaff made two saves as Bishop's Stortford Community Football Club under-14 Wanderers won a thrilling penalty shootout against Manuden to progress in the Bill Doyle Memorial Trophy.

The tense 2-1 victory on spot kicks came after the Royston Crow under-14 League Cup tie had ended 2-2 after extra time.

Wanderers made the brighter start and took the lead when Sonnie Doherty burst through to beat the onrushing goalkeeper with a low shot.

BSCFC under-10 Rovers (23827475)
BSCFC under-10 Rovers (23827475)

Failing to deal with a free kick enabled a Manuden player to score with a free header, however, and it was all square at the break.

Wanderers regained their advantage when man of the match Robbie Hamilton turned in Ollie Green's cross, but their opponents restored parity again and, after no further breakthroughs in extra time, it went to penalties.

It appeared to be all over for Wanderers as they failed to convert any of their first three attempts, but Ethan Gaynor and Hamilton did score and Wagstaff's second save sealed an unlikely victory.

In Royston Crow League, Division One, under-14 Athletic maintained their 100% record with a 5-0 drubbing of Steeple Morden.

Lachlan Collins netted twice and was joined on the score sheet by Braydon Niclaou, Johnny McNamara and Finn Slater.

Israel Jacques also bagged a brace as under-16 United defeated FC Comets 2-1 in Mid-Herts Rural Minors League, Division Three.

He scored from the penalty spot in the first half and then found the bottom corner after collecting James Dainton's quick free kick.

In Division One, under-16 Rovers picked up a battling point in a 1-1 home draw with Whitewebbs Eagles Green.

It was the fifth time the teams had met in 2019 and goalkeeper Nathan Luckin, who was later named man of the match, made the first of a string of good saves to keep his side level.

Rovers fell behind when Luckin saved a penalty before seeing the rebound tucked away, although the hosts thought the ball had been kicked out of his hands.

Rovers thought they had equalised when Adam Blair-Park rifled in a close-range free kick after the Whitewebbs goalkeeper had picked up a backpass. They were ordered to retake it, but they were not to be denied as Will Hall stepped up to smash in the second attempt.

Rovers had the better of the second period but chances were few and far between. Captain Fergus Shinnick and the other members of the defensive unit snuffed out any Whitewebbs threat.

Charlie Sacco and Finley Fraser both struck twice to guide under-12 United to a 5-0 victory over Hertford Town.

The MHRML Division Two leaders were rewarded for a fast start when Sacco finished smartly after picking up the ball on the edge of the box and beating his man.

Fraser doubled the lead with a well-taken finish before Luca Barnes calmly slotted in after a corner was spilled by the goalkeeper.

The Hertford goalkeeper was in inspired form after the break, but further United pressure eventually told as Fraser broke from the halfway line to net before Sacco notched with virtually the last kick of the game.

In Division Seven, injury-hit under-12 Athletic almost claimed a point when they went down 4-3 at Ware Lions Whites.

Tom Coombes added to Mike Payne's goal with two magnificent strikes before Dom Fiddler saw what he thought was a deserved equaliser for Athletic, who only had nine players, ruled out for offside.

Ella Schneider scored four goals as the under-12 girls got the better of Bedwell Dragons for the second week running.

The visitors won the Hertfordshire Girls Football Partnership League, Division Three contest 7-1 having beaten the same opponents in the county cup the previous week.

And, as in the cup tie, they had to come from behind after being caught napping in the opening stages.

The depleted visitors, who had no substitutes, equalised when Lola Anderson and Amy Lenihan combined to tee up Jess McCrae, and she got her second in similar fashion soon after.

Gracie Halls went close on a number of occasions before Schneider produced her four-goal blitz.

They completed the win which maintained their 100% league record when McCrae set up Anna Baros to notch.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More